CSA faces backlash as Newlands England Test sells out in minutes amid heavy overseas allocation

CSA faces backlash as Newlands England Test sells out in minutes amid heavy overseas allocation

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has come under heavy criticism after tickets for the 2027 New Year's Test against England at Newlands sold out within minutes on Monday, with only a small percentage of seats made available to the general public.

Less than 1,600 tickets per day were released for public sale for the Cape Town Test, which will be played from January 3-7, after the majority of seats were allocated to travel packages, hospitality and other reserved categories.

CSA allocated 39 percent of Newlands' capacity to international and local travel packages, while a further 41 percent was reserved for hospitality, complimentary, stakeholder and service allocations. Only 13% of tickets were set aside for public sale, with 9 percent released on Monday morning.

The remaining 4 percent, along with any unused tickets from reserved allocations, will be released at a later stage.

Newlands, which now has a reduced capacity of 17,544 following redevelopment work at the stadium, was declared sold out for the first four days shortly after tickets went on sale.

The demand for tickets was heightened by the fact that Newlands did not host any men's international cricket during the 2025-26 season because of upgrades linked to preparations for the 2027 ICC Cricket World Cup.

England tours are among CSA's most profitable because of the large travelling support that accompanies the team, including the Barmy Army and other organised tour groups.

Sports business researcher Nqobile Ndlovu said CSA's ticketing strategy reflected the financial importance of inbound tours by England and India.

"If India and England don't come here, it's curtains for Cricket South Africa in terms of the revenue that they generate," Ndlovu told CapeTalk.

He said incoming tours generate between 35 percent and 45 percent of CSA's annual revenue through ticket sales, travel packages and tourism partnerships.

Ndlovu added that large allocations had likely already been distributed to overseas supporters and local cricket travel groups before the public sale opened.

"What could have happened is that all five days are sold out already even before the announcement was made," he said.

Despite understanding the commercial rationale, Ndlovu said local supporters had effectively been excluded.

"I do agree that it's the wrong thing to do because essentially you lock out domestic fans," he said.

The controversy has revived concerns previously raised during England's 2020 tour of South Africa, when tickets at Newlands were split evenly between local and travelling supporters.

Following South Africa's defeat in that Test, former captain Faf du Plessis said: "Next time hopefully we can put a block on the amount of tickets we give away."

Frustration among supporters also grew after tickets reportedly appeared on resale websites for prices of up to R4,000.

While tickets remain available for the first and second Tests in Johannesburg and Centurion, criticism of the Newlands allocation process continued throughout Monday on social media and talk radio platforms.

CSA and the Western Province Cricket Association did not comment publicly on the backlash.

READ MORE: Tazmin Brits says Proteas have experience to handle high pressure competitions