Bulls survive epic second-half fightback from Warriors in URC showdown

Bulls survive epic second-half fightback from Warriors in URC showdown

The Bulls overcame a second-half implosion to secure all five points in a 40-34 win over United Rugby Championship leaders Glasgow Warriors at Loftus Versfeld.

The home side looked to be cruising when they led by 27 points with less than 20 minutes left to play, only for the Warriors to come roaring back with three straight converted tries in the space of eight minutes. 

The Bulls were able to regather their composure, however, and deny the Warriors any further points before a 79th-minute penalty from flyhalf Chris Smith finally put the result beyond question.

Matt Fagerson gave the Warriors an early lead but moments after Kyle Steyn had been sent to the sin bin for a tip tackle on Akker van der Merwe, the former Springboks hooker touched down from a well-worked play.

Glasgow were struggling to break out of their half in the face of waves of attacks and there was nothing flashy about the next try they leaked with sheer pressure leading to number eight Cameron Hanekom crossing.

Once George Horne and Smith had exchanged penalties, the Bulls ran in an electric try that started when Glasgow coughed up possession with their own attack.

The ball was threaded to Kurt-Lee Arendse and the South Africa wing weaved his way downfield but just as Steyn made the tackle, Elrigh Louw arrived to take the scoring pass.

The bonus point was secured six minutes after the interval when sharp handling exposed Glasgow™s passive defending with Canan Moodie crossing.

With winning seemingly now an impossible prospect, the Warriors focused on registering their own bonus point and their cause was aided when a superb long pass by Horne fell into the arms of Steyn for a simple run in.

But in a flash the comeback was on when Sebastian Cancelliere picked off an intercept try and then Weir finishing a stunning move that bamboozled the Bulls through brilliant running lines and pinpoint handling.

Smith slammed the door shut, however, before Weir was on target with a penalty to register a second losing bonus point.

READ MORE: Captain Booi confident as Springbok Women gear up for high-stakes showdown