Supersport up to second with City win, Royal AM boss KZN derby

Supersport up to second with City win, Royal AM boss KZN derby

SuperSport United moved into second position in the standings thanks to a 2-0 win over Cape Town City, while Royal AM snapped a three-game winless streak at Golden Arrows.

Supersport outgun Citizens

Supersport United scored on either side of half-time in a decisive 2-0 win over Cape Town City in Pretoria on Saturday.

Matsatsantsa were quick to take the lead as Thapelo Maseko found the back of the CTC net in the 18th minute to make it 1-0.

City were unable to level matters despite enjoying the lion's share of the possession, and in the first minute of stoppage time the result was secured via an own goal from Darwin Gonzalez.

The win sees Supersport move one point clear of third-placed Richards Bay as the battle for second place in the PSL remains tightly contested.

City, meanwhile, are down in 10th position after the result and only two points clear of the danger zone.

Royal AM reign supreme in KZN Derby

Royal AM took control in the KwaZulu-Natal derby with a 2-1 win over Golden Arrows at Princess Magogo Stadium on Saturday.

Coach John Maduka made a triumphant return to the sideline, recalling key players Elias Pelembe, Cyril Lingwati, and Siphesihle Msomi following the previous defeat to Kaizer Chiefs.

The match got off to a high-energy start with Knox Mutizwa's shot on goal being kept out by Royal AM's keeper Hugo Nyame.

However, the action-packed first half would end in a stalemate.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 60th minute, as Thabo Matlaba scored his first goal of the season to put Royal AM in the lead. Golden Arrows quickly equalized through Mutizwa's third league goal in the 67th minute.

The match heated up in the closing minutes as both sides battled for the winning goal.

Royal AM emerged victorious with six minutes left on the clock, as substitute Sedwyn George found the back of the net to secure the 2-1 win for his club.

Stellenbosch sink Chippa in extra time

Iqraam Rayners scored in stoppage time to give Stellenbosch a precious 2-1 away victory over Chippa United in their PSL clash played at the Nelson Mandela Bay stadium.

It was the visitors who went into the halftime break with a 1-0 lead when Devin Titus followed up his double strike in the derby win against Cape Town City with a goal in the 27th minute.

The Chilli Boys drew level on the hour mark when defender Matome Mathiane's header found the back of the net.

The match looked to be heading for a stalemate but Rayners, who returned to his home club on transfer deadline day from SuperSport United, popped with the winner in injury time.

It was Stellies' fifth win in the league this season after 20 games played while Chippa suffered their eighth defeat of the campaign.

Struggling Gallants earn massive win

Marumo Gallants picked up only their third win of the season on Saturday as they stunned Sekhukhune United 2-0 at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium.

Gallants, winless in all competitions for close to three months, finally snapped their dry spell thanks to a superb free-kick from Lucky Mohomi in the first half, which was followed by another stunning long-range strike from Letsie Koapeng after the break.

The victory still leaves them mired at the bottom of the table, three points behind Maritzburg United, but the decision to place head coach Dan Malesela and technical director Harris Cheou on "special leave" earlier this week appears to have paid off.

Dylan Kerr, who was brought in as a special technical advisor only a few days ago, was able to get immediate results from the players and it will give the club some hope of turning their season around.