By
SABC Sport
18th August 2026
Both players had been doubts for the clash after picking up injuries earlier this season, but assistant coach Felix Jones confirmed they are tracking well and remain in contention for selection.
"Both are tracking pretty good," Jones said. "There's been no flags or issues from what we've seen today in training."
Kolisi was forced off after just 24 minutes against Argentina in Buenos Aires with a hamstring problem, while Nche has played only eight minutes since suffering a knee injury against England.
Rassie Erasmus had earlier described their current concerns as "niggles" rather than injuries, with both players needing to come through another training session before their availability is confirmed.
Franco Mostert, meanwhile, is also progressing well, leaving the Springboks with no other significant injury concerns ahead of the highly anticipated series opener.
Erasmus has delayed naming his team until Thursday, saying the decision was made out of respect for New Zealand and to limit the All Blacks' preparation time.
The Springboks have also drawn on feedback from their United Rugby Championship sides, who have faced New Zealand during the All Blacks' South African tour. Jones said several consistent themes emerged, particularly around the breakdown and defending mauls.
South Africa have also trialled a virtual training system designed to improve players' reactions to contestable kicks as they prepare for the first Test.
With Kolisi and Nche now seemingly on track, the Boks could have two influential figures available as they begin their latest battle with the All Blacks.
