Springbok great Pieter-Steph du Toit fighting to be fit for Boks' July season opener

Springbok great Pieter-Steph du Toit fighting to be fit for Boks' July season opener

Springbok great Pieter-Steph du Toit is firmly on the comeback trail after undergoing shoulder surgery, with coach Rassie Erasmus hopeful he'll be ready in time for the new season.

Last month, it was confirmed that the double World Cup winner would face a lengthy spell out of the game after returning to South Africa for the operation.

The surgery typically requires up to four to five months of rehabilitation, so there is hope he will be fit for the start of the Springbok season in July.

Over the weekend, the Bok legend took to social media to show that his rehabilitation is well underway, sharing pictures and a video of his gym and recovery work in action.

"Surgery done, now the real work starts," he stated.

Speaking to the media last month, Rassie said they hoped Du Toit would be ready for the start of the new season.

"It's a shoulder op. Last year, he was also operated on. He had a shoulder op on the one side and that's fixed, but now the other shoulder is giving him problems," said Erasmus.

"Technically, of course it's his club's decision how to manage that shoulder, but generally it's about four or five months (recovery time) so hopefully he's ready by the time we play England."

The Springboks kick off their 2026 season with a massive clash against England at Ellis Park in Johannesburg to open the newly established Nations Championship, and having two-time World Rugby Player of the Year Du Toit in the starting line-up would be a massive boost.

The Test against England takes place on Saturday, 4 July, followed by encounters against Scotland at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria on 11 July, and Wales at Kings Park in Durban on 18 July.

READ MORE: Ireland boss defends panicky Prendergast amid poor form