By
SABC Sport
21st May 2026
Both players missed the opening event of the three-tournament series in Hong Kong, which was won by South Africa, due to injury but have since recovered and will be available for selection on tour, head coach Philip Snyman said on Thursday.
"It is great to be able to select from a big squad for our final two tournaments, as we only have Christie Grobbelaar (calf), Nabo Sokoyi (shoulder) and Zander Reynders (shoulder) out of contention," said Snyman.
"I had some tough decisions to make but opted for Dewald as an extra flyhalf option given the back-to-back tournaments, while Gino replaces Donavan Don at centre, where we are looking for a bit more height in the midfield and a slight change in approach in that position.
"I have to compliment and mention our medical team who again did an excellent job to have so many players fit, ready and in contention for selection."
Human and Shilton van Wyk look set to reach 35 tournaments when the Blitzboks arrive in Bordeaux for the second tournament of the trip.
"That is a benchmark in our team, so it will be a special moment for both, something that will be shared by all, as well as those who did not make the squad," said Snyman. "The guys that stay behind deserve a lot of credit for their hard work as well."
The Blitzboks will face Great Britain, Kenya and Australia in Pool A at Estadio Jose Zorrilla next week.
"We do not prepare for specific teams in mind; it is more about what we want to go out and achieve on the field of play," said Snyman.
"We learned some lessons in Hong Kong and adjusted accordingly in our sessions since then and I think we are in a good space. The big squad resulted in very competitive training sessions, so we leave here well prepared.
"We know there is a target on our back in every match we play, so need to be ready. We saw in Hong Kong how easy you can trip up if not ready from the very first game, so made the necessary changes in our approach to prevent a slow start."
