Yoane Wissa demands Brentford exit in sensational statement

Yoane Wissa demands Brentford exit in sensational statement

Yoane Wissa has publicly demanded that Brentford allow him to leave for Newcastle United before the transfer window closes, accusing the club of reneging on their word and standing in the way of his next career move.

With less than 48 hours remaining until Monday's 7:00 p.m. BST deadline, the 27-year-old striker has issued a bombshell statement via Instagram, claiming he was given repeated verbal and written assurances that he would be allowed to leave if a reasonable offer came in. Newcastle have had multiple bids rejected - the most recent worth 35 million pounds guaranteed plus 5 million pounds in add-ons - but Brentford have refused to sanction the move, instead raising their asking price to around 65 million pounds.

Wissa, who scored 19 Premier League goals last season and 49 in total across 149 appearances since joining in 2021, said he's been left "in a difficult and frustrating position" as the club has "significantly changed its position" at the final hour.

"I have stayed silent for much of the transfer window, but with just hours remaining of the transfer window I feel compelled to make it clear that I want to leave Brentford," Wissa said in his statement. "I believe the club are unduly standing in my way despite a series of fair offers throughout the transfer window. This has left me frustrated. I ask Brentford's owners and directors to now honour their promise to let me leave in the final hours of the window."

The DR Congo international revealed that earlier in the transfer window he had held open discussions with Brentford's senior management, including key directors and new head coach Keith Andrews, during which he made clear his desire to pursue a new challenge. According to Wissa, the club stated - both verbally and in writing - that they would not stand in his way if a suitable offer arrived.

"Based on this understanding, I sought to find a new club, keeping Brentford informed with full transparency at every step," he continued. "I received a formal offer from another Premier League club and communicated I wanted to join. I was under the impression, from all my conversations with Brentford, that there was a mutual agreement to part ways."

Wissa's frustration has reportedly escalated over recent weeks. He returned early from Brentford's pre-season training camp in Portugal and, while he briefly rejoined first-team training, he is now once again training separately from the squad. He has not featured in any of Brentford's matches this season and has also removed all association with the club from his social media accounts.

Despite the ongoing standoff, Wissa has insisted he is not acting unprofessionally and maintains respect for the club and its supporters.

"I want to make it clear that I have not acted unprofessionally, nor do I wish to leave Brentford on bad terms," he said. "I have always given 100 percent for Brentford since the day I signed. It has been a privilege to wear this shirt for 149 games and celebrate 49 goals. Brentford fans will always have a special place in my heart."

The striker's potential move is reportedly part of a broader transfer chain that could eventually see Newcastle's Alexander Isak move to Liverpool. However, that scenario remains speculative and dependent on Brentford's final decision.

With Brentford having already lost forward Bryan Mbeumo to Manchester United for 65 million pounds earlier in the window, and reinvested in Bournemouth's Dango Ouattara for a club-record 42.5 million pounds, it remains to be seen whether the club is willing to let another attacking asset depart.

As deadline day approaches, Wissa concluded with a direct appeal to the club: "Being made to stay beyond this summer will only tarnish four wonderful years at this incredible club. So I ask Brentford's owners and directors to now honour their promise and let me leave in the final hours of the window."

READ MORE: FIFA boss eases visa concerns ahead of US World Cup