Reece James admits he still has 'rust' to shake off ahead of Chelsea opener

Reece James admits he still has 'rust' to shake off ahead of Chelsea opener

Chelsea captain Reece James believes he still has some "rust" to shake off before reaching full match fitness after making his return to action in the club's final pre-season fixture.

The 26-year-old featured for just over an hour in Saturday's 3-1 victory over Real Sociedad at Stamford Bridge, having only recently returned to Chelsea following England's run to the 2026 World Cup semi-finals.

James, who operated in midfield and provided the assist for Joao Pedro's opening goal with a clever looping cross, was among several players given an extended break after the tournament. Morgan Rogers also started after returning to training last week, while Enzo Fernandez made a second-half appearance following Argentina's run to the final.

With Chelsea's Premier League campaign beginning away to Fulham next Monday, James acknowledged that he and the team are still building towards their best level.

"The break's been pretty short so I felt pretty good out there," he said. "The conditions were tough, it was super hot, but I'm feeling good.

"It's still early, there was a bit of rust still to come off, but it was a good step. It was a short break, probably shorter than everyone would have liked, but I'm delighted to be back and the new season's going to be getting under way pretty soon."

The match also provided the first Stamford Bridge appearances for new arrivals Maxence Lacroix and Marco Palestra, while Pep Chavarria was introduced after the interval.

James believes the new additions have already settled quickly despite only having a short period to work together following Chelsea's pre-season tour.

"The squad have just come off the pre-season tour which was a lot of travelling, a lot of games, but from what I've seen everyone's settled in well and I'm delighted with the group," he said.

"It's only been four or five days, it's been super short but I'm enjoying it very much so far and that's the same for the boys." 

READ MORE: Borussia Dortmund target signing Barcelona full-back Hector Fort