By
SABC Sport
31st August 2025
Nicolas Jackson refuses Chelsea return after Bayern Munich move collapses over Liam Delap injury
Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson has defied club orders to return to London after the club abruptly cancelled his loan move to Bayern Munich - a decision that has left the player furious and hoping to revive the deal before the transfer window closes.
The 24-year-old Senegal international had flown to Germany after Bayern Munich and Chelsea agreed a loan deal with an option to buy for 56 million pounds. But the move collapsed hours later following an injury to Chelsea's Liam Delap, who limped off early in the 2-0 win over Fulham with what appears to be a serious hamstring issue.
The injury has left head coach Enzo Maresca short of striker options, and Chelsea quickly informed Bayern that Jackson was no longer available. Despite the club's orders, Jackson - frustrated by the dramatic U-turn - has remained in Munich with his representatives in an attempt to resurrect the deal.
"The plane doesn't go backwards... Munich," Jackson's agent and former Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara posted on social media in a pointed message aimed at Chelsea.
Bayern's sporting director Max Eberl confirmed the deal had been agreed and a medical was imminent before Chelsea backed out.
"Chelsea have informed us they want the player back after we reached an agreement yesterday. Now the situation is that the boy is in Munich, and we have to send him back," said Eberl.
Chelsea are firm in their stance that Jackson will not leave on loan - only a permanent transfer would be considered. However, Bayern have already spent heavily this transfer window and are reportedly limited to loan deals now.
The fallout has forced Chelsea into contingency planning. They are now exploring permanent deals for potential replacements and have made inquiries for several forwards, including 20-year-old Danish striker Conrad Harder of Sporting Lisbon. Harder, who has six goals in 32 league games, has also drawn interest from RB Leipzig.
Jackson's frustration is understandable. Signed from Villarreal two years ago, he has fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea and requested a move earlier this month. With new arrivals Joao Pedro and Delap ahead of him, and no appearances in Chelsea's first three matches, Jackson saw the Bayern move as a fresh start. Maresca, however, is now reluctant to move forward with only one fit striker.
"When you have two proper nines, it's enough. When one is injured for weeks, probably it's not enough," Maresca said, hinting that Jackson's departure is now off the table.
In Jackson's absence, 19-year-old winger Tyrique George was forced to lead the line after Delap's injury. Chelsea also confirmed the 40 million pounds signing of Alejandro Garnacho from Manchester United on Saturday and are hoping Facundo Buonanotte, arriving on loan from Brighton, will help cover for the injured Cole Palmer.
Additionally, Chelsea await Barcelona's response to a 40 million euros offer for midfielder FermÃn Lopez, although the Spanish club reportedly want more than 60 million euros.
Jackson's situation remains fluid - he remains in Germany, unwilling to give up on a Bayern move. Ironically, Chelsea are set to face Bayern Munich in their Champions League opener on September 17. As things stand, Jackson may still be wearing blue that day - but it might not be the shirt he expected.