Neymar overjoyed after emotional Brazil World Cup recall following injury comeback

Neymar overjoyed after emotional Brazil World Cup recall following injury comeback

Neymar has revealed he "cried for several hours" after being included in Brazil's World Cup squad, marking an emotional return to the international stage after a long injury layoff that cast doubt over his future with the national team.

The Santos forward, Brazil's all-time leading scorer with 79 goals, was named in Carlo Ancelotti's final 26-man squad for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico, ending a near three-year absence from international football.

Neymar had not featured for Brazil since suffering a serious ACL injury in October 2023, which required an extended rehabilitation period and kept him sidelined for key fixtures, including earlier squad selections under Ancelotti. His omission had fuelled speculation that he might not return in time for another World Cup appearance.

The 34-year-old admitted the moment his name was confirmed brought an overwhelming emotional release, captured in a video he shared on social media showing him embracing members of his recovery team at Santos.

"It's difficult to explain with words the emotions I've felt," Neymar said while addressing teammates and staff at Santos. "I want to thank everyone here. This call-up wasn't just for me but for everyone involved in the process⦠I admit that I cried for several hours because it was by no means easy to arrive at this point."

He added that the journey back from injury had been defined by sacrifice and perseverance. "Those who have been with me through it all know that it was difficult, it was hard. But after hearing my name on the list, all the sacrifices and all the effort was worth it."

Neymar also took time to acknowledge supporters who had stood by him throughout his career and recovery, insisting the achievement belonged as much to Brazil's fans and his support network as it did to him personally.

"Thank you for your support, for always believing in me," he said. "We're in this together as Brazil heads for a sixth World Cup title."

Now back at boyhood club Santos after his injury-hit spell in Saudi Arabia, Neymar has worked his way back into contention under Ancelotti, who is preparing a squad blending experienced stars with emerging talent. The Brazil coach is expected to oversee a competitive selection process, with no guarantees of starting places despite reputations or past achievements.

Brazil will begin their final preparations with a friendly against Panama at the Maracanã on May 31 before heading to their base in the United States. They are drawn in Group C, where they will face Morocco in their opening match on June 13, followed by fixtures against Haiti and Scotland.

For Neymar, the call-up represents both a personal triumph and a final opportunity to chase a long-awaited sixth World Cup crown with Brazil.

READ MORE: Bayern Munich attacker Jamal Musiala says he 'takes full responsibility' after autobahn crash