Michael Carrick promises more Man Utd signings

Michael Carrick promises more Man Utd signings

Michael Carrick is confident Manchester United will strengthen their squad before the transfer window closes as he prepares for his first full season as permanent manager.

United have been linked with Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba and are also reportedly looking to add a left-back, with Carrick determined to make the most of the remaining time in the window.

The former United midfielder guided the club to third place last season after taking over as interim manager following Ruben Amorim's departure. That run earned Carrick a permanent contract and raised hopes that United can challenge for their first Premier League title since 2013.

United begin their campaign away to newly promoted Hull on Saturday, but Carrick expects further movement in the transfer market before the September 1 deadline.

"I just think we're looking to strengthen the squad," Carrick told reporters. "We're certainly working towards that and making the most of the situation that we have, trying to improve things.

"Certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. I think we're in a good way to doing that so far."

United have already brought in Aston Villa midfielder Youri Tielemans, Chelsea midfielder Andrey Santos and Leeds goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

A move for Baleba would add further strength to Carrick's midfield as United look to build on last season's third-place finish.

However, Carrick insisted his players cannot afford to look beyond Saturday's trip to Hull, despite United being expected to challenge for the title.

He rejected suggestions that facing two promoted teams in their opening games, with Ipswich visiting Old Trafford next, represented an easy start.

"For all of us who know this league, there's no favourable start," Carrick said. "It's a tough start. A newly promoted team away from home is a tough, tough game.

"I've been involved in them in the past so I'm fully aware of what's at stake, what's coming at us on Saturday, what we've got to be ready for, so it's not favourable.

"I think it's an easy thing to throw out there, but it's pretty ridiculous and we're certainly not taking it that way at all."

Tielemans and Santos could make their competitive debuts against Hull.

Carrick also provided an update on Mason Mount, who has returned to training after missing United's final two pre-season matches.

Mount has suffered another injury setback during his time at Old Trafford, although Carrick played down concerns over the midfielder's latest problem.

"He has picked up a bit of a knock, there are no dramas. It is nothing major," Carrick said.

"Of course, he has missed some football over recent years, and he wants to be fit and wants to be in that full rhythm and wants to stay fit, so we're doing our best to help him do that.

"He's a top player. Mason will be back very, very soon. If not immediately."

Manchester United play their opening Premier League match against Hull City away at the MKM Stadium on Saturday.

READ MORE: Jose Mourinho begins Real Madrid mission with Barcelona in his sights