'Frustrated' Wolfsburg fire blanks against Paderborn in Bundesliga relegation play-off

'Frustrated' Wolfsburg fire blanks against Paderborn in Bundesliga relegation play-off

VfL Wolfsburg were left frustrated after being held to a tense 0-0 draw by SC Paderborn in the first leg of their Bundesliga relegation play-off, leaving everything to play for in Monday's decisive return match.

With Wolfsburg fighting to protect their place in the Bundesliga for a 30th straight season, the pressure was on from the opening whistle. But it was Paderborn who threatened first when Santiago Castaneda fired a dangerous volley on target after Filip Bilbija's header had been blocked, forcing goalkeeper Kamil Grabara into an early save.

Wolfsburg gradually took control and created the better chances as the first half progressed. Denis Vavro came close when his low strike flashed narrowly wide, while Adam Daghim caused problems on the counter-attack and tested Paderborn goalkeeper Dennis Seimen.

Christian Eriksen also nearly caught Seimen out before the break with a dangerous delivery that drifted towards the near post, but the visitors survived and reached half-time level.

The home side continued to push after the restart, with Eriksen again going close from a curling free-kick, but Seimen produced another important stop to keep the game scoreless.

Paderborn defended with discipline throughout and almost snatched a dramatic late winner when Bilbija chipped towards goal, only for Vavro and Joakim Maehle to clear the danger on the line.

Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking admitted his side lacked quality in key attacking moments.

"We have to blame ourselves for being too sloppy in the final third," Hecking said after the match.

"Sometimes the final pass was lacking, other times it was a technical mistake. We had decent half-chances, but they could have become much more."

The experienced coach also praised both teams' defensive organisation.

"We defended everything very well, were extremely disciplined and didn't allow ourselves to get drawn out," he added. "I said before the match that these would be two very tight games."

Paderborn boss Ralf Kettemann was delighted with his side's effort against Bundesliga opposition.

"The lads did a top job," Kettemann said. "They were brave, showed courage and defended brilliantly with great intensity throughout."

Goalkeeper Dennis Seimen, who earned the man-of-the-match award, was equally satisfied after his clean sheet.

"I think it's okay that the game ended 0-0 today," Seimen said. "On Monday, our fans will carry us in our stadium, and we're looking forward to it."

Despite the late dismissal of Jonah Sticker for a second yellow card, Paderborn now head into the second leg with belief that they can return to the Bundesliga for the first time since 2019. 

READ MORE: 'It was a magical moment' - Mikel Arteta savours Arsenal glory after Premier League triumph