The former junior international was expected to join Swallows FC on a loan deal before the Dube Birds were slapped with a Fifa sanction in September, blocking them from registering new players, and Mkhuma’s deal was affected.
On Friday, the Soweto outfit finally confirmed the ban had been lifted, however, Mkhuma had already left the club base to return to Chloorkop.
According to information gathered by the public broadcaster, Sundowns are in talks with All Stars FC in the Motsepe Foundation Championship (second tier) for the 22-year-old to spend the remainder of the season there on loan.
With the transfer window open until midnight on Tuesday, the discussions will have to move quickly for the move to materialise.
Swallows chairman David Mogashoa told SABC Sport Mkhuma grew restless with the process of having to wait for the sanction to be overturned.
“I think Promise was unfortunately impatient with the ban because nobody knew whether it was going to be lifted or not. But I knew,” he explained.
“When you tell someone that the ban will be lifted, they think ‘oh, that’s what you said last month’ – but this wasn’t in my control. I think Promise was a bit impatient, so he went back to Mamelodi Sundowns.”