The Western Province batter only made himself available to play for South Africa earlier this year, having initially tried to qualify for England, and is one of three uncapped players in the Test squad alongside Tristan Stubbs and Nandre Burger.
The 29-year-old Bedingham has had a fruitful few seasons with the bat for English county side Durham and overall averages over 50 after more than 80 first-class matches.
Proteas Test coach Shukri Conrad has not shied away from letting people know that he rates Bedingham highly and was keen to get him involved in the two-match Test series starting in Centurion on Boxing Day.
Bedingham said: "I can't take the smile off my face, humbled and truly grateful for the opportunity and can't wait to get started."
The right-handed batter was involved in serious car accident in 2016, that changed his perspective on his life and how he viewed his cricket career.
The former Wynberg Boys High pupil previously stated how he would put too much pressure on himself to perform and that would ultimately be his undoing.
"I think since my accident I've always told myself to play with a smile on my face and really enjoy every moment so yeah having fun has been the reason for my success," he said.
"Exactly the same as what I've tried to do for the past four years, have fun, hopefully smack a couple of fours and sixes and truly enjoy the whole experience."
Before the Test series, the Proteas and India will first battle it out in three T20Is and three ODIs with the first game in the shortest format kicking off in Durban on Sunday.