11th February 2026
Advocate Leana Fick is now representing accused number two and four in the matter – Trevor Neethling and his PR company Grit Communications – under the instruction of James Ndebele and was given until the new date to familiarise herself with the amended charge sheet received this morning, as well as time to consult with her clients.
This is a fresh delay in the matter after it was put on hold late last year at the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court, when Ndebele made the application for state prosecutor Moagi Malebati to recuse himself citing that he’d been “tainted”. It was revealed in court today that that application has now been abandoned after it was dismissed in December.
While the state has reiterated that it is ready to proceed to trial, Victor Nkwashu who represents accused number one, three, and five – Jordaan, SAFA CFO Gronie Hluyo, and former acting CEO Russel Paul – insisted that the matter should be struck off the roll while the challenge for the search and seizure at SAFA’s Nasrec headquarters in March 2024 is still waiting to be heard at the High Court. Nkwashu said in no uncertain terms that they will not agree to a trial date until that hearing takes place, and said that the new set date for the case to resume will still serve no purpose. The hearing in the High Court is set for April 27, according to Nkwashu, and it is also expected to be reallocated a new date with that day being a public holiday.
He also argued that there’s no way of determining if the evidence in the state’s possession is only from the raid or if they have enough to go to trial even without the evidence gathered there. Malebati then quickly rebuffed by citing that every piece of evidence has a record of date attached to it.
Meanwhile there is another matter that has been referred to the High Court by the accused, with Nkwashu insisting that the arrest of his clients on November 13 2024 was unnecessary due to the interdict they had filed but was set to be heard the next day.
The state then made it clear that there was nothing unlawful about the arrest since the interdict application by the accused had not even been heard yet, much less being granted by the time the arrest was effected.
