'Barca or nothing': Joao Cancelo completes emotional Barcelona return

'Barca or nothing': Joao Cancelo completes emotional Barcelona return

Joao Cancelo has returned to Barcelona with the Portugal international making clear that he was prepared to sacrifice both playing time and part of his salary to make the move happen.

The 32-year-old landed in Catalonia on Monday ahead of finalising his return to the club, having reached an agreement to terminate his Al-Hilal contract by mutual consent. Barcelona have been pursuing the defender for some time and after weeks of negotiations a deal has now been reached that will see him return on a free transfer.

Cancelo's arrival marks his third spell with Barcelona but his first as a permanent player. He previously spent the 2023-24 season at the club on loan from Manchester City before returning for another loan spell from Al-Hilal last January, playing under Hansi Flick.

His desire to return was evident from the outset, with Cancelo admitting that he had been willing to spend the entire 2026-27 campaign on the sidelines if Al-Hilal refused to release him.

"I'm very happy, I'm very happy to be here, I'm where I want to be," Cancelo told reporters after landing.

The full-back revealed that he had trained separately for a week as he pushed for his departure from the Saudi club, while making his position clear to Barcelona sporting director Deco.

"I told Deco that either I came here or I would spend a year there without playing while collecting my salary," he said.

The Portuguese subsequently accepted a reduction in his salary to complete the move.

"I've given up part of my salary, but it was to sign for Barca, or nothing," he added.

READ MORE: Nigeria striker Taiwo Awoniyi departs Nottingham Forest to join Coventry